636 S. MICHIGAN AVENUE, CHICAGO, IL
Historic Renovation Completed:
BLACKSTONE HOTEL / 636 S. MICHIGAN AVENUE, CHICAGO, IL
- Chicago Landmark Building: designated 1998
- National Register of Historic Places: designated 1986
- General Contractor: McHugh Construction
Built in 1910, the Blackstone Hotel is a Chicago landmark that was completely restored to its original beauty and re-opened in March, 2008. Working in collaboration with McHugh Construction to assure this historic window replacement project was a success, Auburn Corporation replaced 930 windows to plan as part of a $112 million renovation.
Our highly experienced construction crews are problem solvers. In order to complete the historic window replacement, Auburn Corporation demonstrated its schedule flexibility as multiple mobilizations were required to smooth production. Required to remove the existing wood frame, our crews installed treated wood blocking and secured the blocking to existing masonry with chemically treated anchors. A noteworthy achievement was Auburn's custom fabrication of the architecturally significant 360 degree circle windows on the 23rd floor.
As part of the restoration of the building façade, Auburn Corporation's skilled designers and craftsmen replicated the original sight lines using custom panning extrusions to copy the wood brick moulding and applied muntins to replicate the original divided lites. Our expert in-house shop also replicated the oriel style sash originally found in the hotel.
Auburn Corporation is proud of its role in returning the Blackstone Hotel to its original splendor with its historic window replacement.