If you’re wondering what to expect from your replacement windows, check out some of the most frequently asked questions we’ve heard over the last 100 years!
1. What Is a Replacement Window?
This question may seem obvious, but it’s important to note
that a replacement window is
different than a new construction window.
- Replacement windows (also known as “retrofit windows”) are designed to be installed without affecting or removing the structural components around the glass pane.
- New construction windows are built with a property, allowing them to be nailed directly onto the original framing. They can also be used as replacement windows, but they require more extensive removal of the material around the existing window.
2. When Do I Need Replacement Windows?
Especially in older properties in Chicago, IL, replacement windows are highly recommended to help reduce costly energy bills. (According to the EPA, windows are responsible for up to 30% of a property’s energy loss!)
Accordingly, one of the biggest signs that you might need window replacement is creeping energy bills, often due to thin single-pane windows. Other important indications include:
- Fog or condensation trapped between panes
- Rot, mold, or mildew throughout the frame
- Warped frames or sashes that don’t close properly
- Visible gaps between the frame and wall
3. How Do I Choose the Right Window Style?
To find the ideal replacement window style, you should ask yourself several questions:
Do I like my current windows? There’s no reason that you have to replace your windows with the same style. You can get extra ventilation from double hung windows, more stylish curb appeal with bay/bow windows, or more stand-out appeal with specially shaped windows.
How much do I want to
spend? Your budget will determine not only the number of windows you can
replace but also the frame material you choose—whether vinyl, fiberglass, or
Do I have a historic property? Owners of older homes and businesses have additional considerations to keep in mind: maintaining an authentic period aesthetic, complying with relevant property codes and/or historic preservation guidelines, and possibly mitigating the effects of lead-based paint.
Ask these questions to experienced window installers in Chicago! Here at Auburn Corporation, for example, we offer free design consultations to help our clients select windows that are both energy efficient and highly durable. We even specialize in historic applications!
4. How Much Do Replacement Windows Cost?
According to Angie’s List, window replacement can cost anywhere from $175 to $1,200 per window—a huge range that depends on the frame material, glass package, size, features, and manufacturer of your specific window. (For some reference, Angie’s List reports standard double pane window costs to be $450 to $600.)
Every home is different. The only way to know how much your windows will cost is to contact a Chicago window company for a detailed consultation and cost estimate.
And that’s where Auburn Corporation comes in!
We’d love to meet with you to learn more about your property and provide a free cost estimate for any of our replacement windows. Put our 100+ years of experience to work for you and get answers to your remaining window questions by calling us or completing our fast online form now.