However, cleaning these windows still requires a little bit of know-how. In this article, our expert window contractors from Auburn Corporation will guide you through the process of how to clean double-hung windows in the most effective way, in order to prolong their lifespan.
Recommended Cleaning Supplies
Before you start with the process, make sure that you have these items with you:
- A Squeegee: The size of squee depend on the size of the windows that you will clean.
- Clean Cloth: Prepare separate ones for washing, polishing, and for spills.
- Chamois Cloth: This type of cloth can eliminate streaks when you wash your windows and is best for cleaning the parts closest to the frame.
- Cleaning Solution: Simply mix warm water with a mild detergent to create a cleaning solution. It is not recommended to mix in too much detergent because this can lead to streaks.
- Bucket: This will make your cleaning more convenient.
A Step-By-Step Guide to Cleaning the Window
Once you’ve gathered your supplies and are ready to clean your window, simply follow the next steps that we’ve provided below:
- Step 1: Remove the window screens.
- Step 2: Unlock the lower sash and slightly raise it for about 2 to 3 inches.
- Step 3: Clean the bottom sill of your window. You can also use a vacuum to get rid of the dirt.
- Step 4: Clean the interior glass by first removing the interior grilles. Lift the grilles away from the glass near the window frame’s edge while still leaving the grille clips in place. After successfully removing the interior grilles, clean the windows as normal.
- Step 5: After the interior glass, clean the exterior window glass by starting on the lower sash. You can access this by unlocking your window, lifting it up two to three inches, and locating the wash assist tabs that you can find above the window sash on the sides of the frame. Slide them in such a way that they are wedged down between the window frame and sash.
Using both hands, hold the lower sash at the outer edge near the wash assist tabs and pull towards you. Tilt the sash inwards such that the glass is supported by a stable object such as a chair. However, keep in mind not to tilt the sash over 90 degrees.
For the upper sash, just leave the lower sash tilted and then slide the wash assist tabs back up towards the top of the frame. This will allow you to lower the upper sash until you can reach up to the wash tabs comfortably. Ensure that the lower sash and the upper one are an inch apart at the minimum.
After this, adjust the wash assist tabs inward while pulling the upper sash towards yourself until it is resting gently on the lower sash. By doing this, you will be able to clean the lower and upper sashes.
- Step 6: Return the sashes back in place after cleaning the windows. You can do this by lifting the upper sash until it returns into a vertical position. After this, push the upper sash about an inch down before sliding to the top of the frame. Next, lift the lower sash until it also returns into a vertical position and then adjust it back into its original place.
- Step 7: Return the interior grilles that you have removed earlier by placing them against the glass and pressing into the clips along with the grilles firmly.
The Most Reputable Window Company
No matter how well-maintained your windows are, they will still undergo natural wear and tear. So if they are showing signs of being old and worn out, or are very hard to clean, you might want to consider getting replacement windows.
Since 1914, Auburn Corporation has been providing all sorts of windows including double-hung windows that are of the best quality. With more than a century of experience in the industry, we have grown to be one of the largest and most reputable companies to whom clients entrust their residential and commercial window and door projects. Aside from our high-quality and energy-efficient products, we are also known for our professionalism and commitment to satisfaction for our customers.
To learn more about our services, give us a call today to speak with an agent over the phone. Alternatively, you may also fill out this online form to schedule a free, in-home estimate and consultation with one of Auburn Corporation’s representatives.